Cycling is a great way to have fun while improving your fitness, no matter what your experience or ability.
The Prairie Cycle Club (PCC), founded in 1971, is a local not-for-profit social group for bicyclists in Champaign and adjacent counties in Illinois. We serve a variety of bicyclists including beginning riders, recreational riders, touring cyclists, long distance riders, commuters, and racers. We
(a) sponsor weekly bicycle rides from April to August for various skill levels
(b) host an annual invitational supported ride with route options of 10-65 miles,
(c) organize social gatherings and special rides,
(d) advocate for bicycling related issues,
(e) promote bicycling education, and
(f) support and promote local and regional groups and events related to the bicycling.
Families, students, singles, couples, and seniors are welcomed and encouraged to ride with the PCC and participate in other PCC activities.
Benefits of Membership
- An excellent way to socialize and meet new friends.
- A full range of weekly rides (April-September) from Leisurely to Advanced
- Social, recreational, and cycling events such as:
- CU Across the Prairie, our annual mid-August metric century. Routes of about 17, 35 and 65 miles (100 km) are suited for riders of all abilities
- Ride-to-Eat Events (breakfast rides, picnic rides, ice cream rides, pizza rides, etc.)
- Rides to area festivals, county fairs, etc.
- Summer moonlight rides
- Organized trips to out-of-town rides
- Pot luck dinners
- Annual December party
- Off-road/mountain biking on trails at Kickapoo State Park
- An opportunity to “get out of town” and visit nearby communities such as Philo, Tolono, Sadorus, Mahomet, Homer, and Monticello, as well as surrounding points of interest such as Lake of the Woods, Allerton Park, Homer Lake, and the Sangamon River Valley
- Pro-active support for local bicycling advocacy activities, including a helmet-fitting and bike safety booth at the Champaign Park District’s annual “Day in the Park”
The Prairie Cycle Club Board meets monthly. Everyone is welcome to attend, just to listen in or to bring ideas or feedback. If you plan on attending, contact a Board member to confirm the date and time.
2018 board members (To contact a board member, replace the !#! with @)
We have a mailing address, Prairie Cycle Club P.O. Box 115 Urbana IL 61803 but except for mailed memberships or registrations, direct contact with the relevant board member is preferred.